The Curse of Candlemere
|The Curse of Candlemere|
|No image yet|
|Throne Room, Candlemere Tower|
|900 xp and either 1,500 GP (standard) or 3,000 GP (DC 28 Bluff)|
The Curse of Candlemere is a quest in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
|“||The Stolen Lands are full of weird places. Take the island in the middle of Candlemere Lake, for instance — it seems like just some regular, remote place from afar, calm and quiet. But the local fishers all keep their boats as far away from the island as possible, and there are tales of ghostly lights dancing on the island's shores at night. Some say that something terrible happened at the tower long ago, something so dark and abominable that the place is still cursed. True or not, we have to explore the place anyway — it would be outrageous to have a barony with an uncharted spot in the middle of its map!||„|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Find out what happened to Gunderson's team[edit | edit source]
- We first heard about the island from Willas Gunderson, a self-proclaimed hero and adventurer. Truth be told, I'm more inclined to think "coward" than "hero." He polished the castle floor with his knees as he begged us to recover his treasures and bring justice to the thieves who stole them. Our baron/baroness would never let a wronged person down, so off to the island we go. Time to find out what's keeping those treasure hunters away.
Willas Gunderson will visit your barony to issue the quest but it is possible to complete it before meeting him by going to Candlemere Island beforehand.
Explore the island[edit | edit source]
- Here we are! Before our very eyes, Candlemere Island — dark, terrifying, and mysterious! Actually, the shore doesn't seem terrifying at all — a ruined tower is the only thing spoiling the view. Time for a walk, it seems!
- Ha! We're not alone on this island! A party of three adventurers came ashore recently and went to the tower. Let's follow them!
- We'd barely made it to the tower when we found an unlucky ranger. It looks like the poor fellow met a gruesome, agonizing death here. And some loathsome will-o'-wisps were swarming over his corpse like flies!
- Near the entrance to the ruins, we found another dead body — the guy wore armor decorated with symbols of Irori. Whoever killed the paladin, he wasn't bold enough to confront him face-to-face — the fellow was stabbed in the back. I'd love to get my hands on the rat who did it...
Deal with the mad cleric of Nethys[edit | edit source]
- Like it or not, it's becoming hard to deny that some curse exists: the damned island seems to do strange things to people. In the tower, we met a deranged cleric who planned to open a portal to another world, let his god in, and set him upon us. Is it even possible for us to reason with such a fanatic?
Report the results of the expedition to Willas Gunderson[edit | edit source]
- Some stories just don't get shiny, happy endings — no treasures found, all the treasure hunters are gone, and our heroes return to Gunderson with nothing but bad news.
Outcome[edit | edit source]
|“||Candlemere Island is still an enigma to us, but at least we didn't let that crazy priest of Nethys open a mysterious portal to another world. We could just turn the page on this, but the unsealed portal in the tower still keeps me up at night. Something tells me we'll be hearing about this place again!||„|