Reaford Tabulus Vallersteil
Reaford Tabulus Vallersteil is a character in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Description[edit | edit source]
When a soul is not allowed to rest due to some great injustice, either real or perceived, it sometimes comes back as a ghost. Such beings are in eternal anguish, lacking in substance and unable to set things right. Although ghosts can be any alignment, the majority cling to the living world out of a powerful sense of rage and hatred, and as a result are chaotic evil – even the ghost of a good or lawful creature can become hateful and cruel in its afterlife.
When a ghost is created, it retains incorporeal "copies" of any items that it particularly valued in life (provided the originals are not in another creature's possession). The equipment works normally for the ghost, but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures, but any such attack deals only half as much damage (50%) unless it is a ghost touch weapon. A ghost can use shields or armor only if they have the ghost touch quality. The original items remain behind, just as the ghost's physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the incorporeal copy fades away. This loss invariably angers the ghost, who stops at nothing to return the item to its original resting place (and thus regain the item's use).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Can be found behind the hidden (Perception 35 to notice) and blocked (Athletics 40 to clear) passage and a locked (Trickery 47 or Lost Key to open) door in the room, guarded by Gedovius on the lower level of Pitax Royal Palace
- He is responsible for the ghost flaggers in the castle
- After his death, you receive 23,040xp, although ingame description states 7680xp.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- He is a formidable enemy. First, maximum buff (especially Death Ward) is a must. He is quite hard-boiled in necromancy.
- Second - Reaford boasts with insanely high Reflex saves and Charisma, so your AoE spells are rarely effective, that's more than can be said for him. If you let Reaford cast Wail of the Banshee - you're dead. Yes. As simple as that. Only really high Fortitude save can prevent that.
- Third - he is Undead and has Incorporeal Form, what lessens your deadly toolbox.
- At the beginning of the fight split your ranged characters along the walls of his room to minimize collateral damage.
- He starts with buffing himself, what increases not only AC (from good to very good), but also the power of his spells later and you really don't want to see that. So just hit him as hard and as fast as you can. Ghost and Holy are your best friends here. Remember, that he has a nasty habit to cast Vampiric Shadow Shield, so 2-ft-close melee characters will suffer a lot. And his Baleful Polymorph has 40 DC to remove, so if you get one - better reload.
- So you can counter it with Dispel Magic. As he has high saves (31 DC to succeed in dispelling), Gloves of the Scribe from the Golden Golem Puzzle and Metamagic (Heighten Spell) can help you with that.
- Disintegrate spell carries a heavy punch, too.